Sunday 26 September 2010

Hawaii Five...Oh.

Aloha! It's the remake. And it's great. At least for the first four-and-a-half minutes. Guns, explosions, James Masters (that bloke from Buffy who played Spike) being really nasty, that geezer from Die Hard 2 playing Steve McGarrett's dad, and then THAT theme tune. Oh my...that theme tune. Here's the 2010 version....



And then it all goes so, so wrong.

From the word go, the GLW and I were rolling our eyes. So spoiler alert , Here's the quick capsule guide:

* Immensely cheesy dialogue.
* McGarrett and Danno argue like a couple staying together for the sake of the kids.
* Why is it the two actors the audience are most likely to recognise (Daniel Dae Kim from Lost and Grace Park from Battlestar) have such underwritten roles?
* Was it really necessary for Grace Park's character to be introduced in her first scene...just wearing a bikini?? WTF?

Maybe the makers were trying to obtain that 1970s vibe?

Anyway, despite the show being switched off halfway through in the Gurudad household, it made me think of the original theme tune...and here it is! This is the best quality version I could find. It's still fantastic, and I prefer it to the 2010 version.



If you want to watch something contemporary about Hawaii - I suggest Lilo and Stitch. It gets better every time I watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment